Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Conflicting Allegiances

It is so hard these days to not engage in the political arguments on and off social media. Its a legitimate temptation. Sometimes I give in, but it almost always leaves me feeling dissatisfied. But theres a place that I see things having an impact in my own life and others'. Past the point of winning and losing, is a place where false ideologies bow down to truth and relationships grow because of the sharpening of minds and the strengthening of hearts.
“I came to cast fire on the earth, and would that it were already kindled! I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how great is my distress until it is accomplished! Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division. For from now on in one house there will be five divided, three against two and two against three. They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, " ... Luke 12:49-53
Lately the most challenging part of those fiery conversations, has been the moments when I had to decide how to have wisdom and grace in confronting Christians. My Christian friends and family are passionate people which most of the time is a great thing! Usually our passion can be used for fruitful movements of faith, service, and worship. But when it comes to being passionate about politics, it gets very muddy.


Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person. Colossians 4:6
The 7-nation immigrant ban has put a fire in many of us.
I understand why. I understand because I've worked with immigrants and refugees for 6 years. I'm a certified ESL instructor so I've taught students from all over the world- many from the Middle East. I've eaten in their homes, travelled with them, ridden roller coasters with them, laughed with them, disagreed with them, and been in their mosques. I lived in Jordan and Egypt for a summer. I've taken several culural, international, and sensitivity trainings including a recent one from the USCIS  (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) about citizenship, visa, and vetting procedures. When the ban was announced, Monday morning I had to face one of my favorite students-An Iranian grandfather whom I've taught for 6 months along with his wife and grandaughter. I had to listen to their worries of not seeing their loved ones. I've seen the conditions some of these Muslims live in, in their countries. Some are facing death. Some have mud floors. Some don't have the freedom to shake a man's hand. Some can't afford a pair of glasses. So I have compassion. I'd want to live in a land of freedom and opportunity too. When the early Americans were facing religious intolerance, they also fled to a land where they could find it.



But I also understand the fear.
During my time in Jordan, seeing guns was a normal sight. Want to shop in the mall? Have this man with a gun check your bag. Want to eat at a restaurant? Enter in the door by the man with the gun on his hip. While in Egypt, it was- Want to drive? Have guards check the undercarriage of your vehicle for bombs every morning. Their homelands are filled with many beautiful things...but they are also feared with fear. I've had many lunches with my dear Muslim friends that were fun, encouraging, and enlightening. But I've also had a couple that involved disagreement and hurt. One still clear memory was a lunch with one of my Muslim girl friends. The conversation moved to a Christian speaker who was in town who had converted from Islam. She immediately stopped me and solemnly said "You know we have to kill him right?" That happened again a 2nd time but from a different Muslim friend. I understand that letting in humans also means letting in ideologies that may be different, and sometimes even threatening to yours. I understand the fear of not wanting to see that become the norm in America. I understand that some of Islam's core beliefs threaten the very lives of believers. Jesus also knew that the same people he ministered to would be the ones that hung him on the cross.

So as a Christian, when it comes to hard topics like this, I have to go to the Word. Ultimately, my allegiance is with Heaven. My King is Christ. I entrust my fears and my hopes to the Father.
It's been a challenge to not get defensive and argue every time I see ignorance fluorish and prejudices thrive. At times I've failed in keeping the peace. I've argued with my mom, with close friends, and strangers. But even in the aftermath of failed "peace talks" with them, God has been teaching me that yes we are in the end times but His grace is still sufficient. In Heaven, He still longs to see "every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb." Rev. 7:9

When I was young, a man came to our church and he pulled me up from the congregation and prophesied over me. He said "You will be a voice among the nations." When I grew up and started doing missions, then working at an international school my parents noticed-"Look! God has brought the nations to you!" Yes, He has. God has brought the nations to us. Let us not waste this opportunity to see the nations through His eyes. Let us not lose the chance to bring our unbelieving foreign friends into the family of God.


When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the Lord your God. Leviticus 19:33-34

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Text Widget

Do not be conformed to this present world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may test and approve what is the will of God-what is good, well-pleasing and perfect. Romans 12:2

Copyright © Surrendered Existence | Powered by Blogger

Design by Anders Noren | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com