Monday, October 5, 2015

When Demons Rush In

We are at war. In fact, we've been at war for thousands of years. This isn't some sudden realization or an exaggeration of our situation. Light has been battling darkness since the beginning and the trophy is your soul.

This past year just about broke me. I've never cried harder, sinned more blatantly, and examined my heart more than what I did this year. So far in 2015, I've moved in with my dad, broke up with a guy, changed churches, been to court twice, had the paramedics at my apt twice, seen my dad through 7 hospital visits, and gained 30 pounds. And its only October. It has been the hardest year of my life. But I refuse to be a casualty.
Every man and woman who chooses to trust and obey God will find his faith attacked and his life invaded by the power of evil. There is no more escape for us than there was for the Son of Man. -Elisabeth Elliot-

Most of the hell that I've been though this year has centered around taking care of my dad. He's been disabled for over 10 years from extreme gout and arthritis. He has no feeling in his hands or feet. His knees are each the size of softballs and he can barely bend them. He has about 20 large calcium nodules on his joints which restrict his mobility and cause great pain. He's been through multiple surgeries. Ultimately he has the body of a 80 year old but he's 62. His greater struggle though has been with alcohol and pain medications. He has been in constant pain for over a decade, but he's lost the strength to endure it and has dived into the numb world of addiction. He's been in rehab 3 times in the past 3 years. The first time was because he was double dipping into pain meds from 2 different doctors. Right now he probably has 12 different prescriptions for various ills. So, I've gotten used to discovering beer cans in bushes and under laundry and hidden behind doors. The first rehab visit was traumatic for me but hospital visits have now become part of normal life.

About 3 weeks ago the worst relapse happened. It started with a prescription from the doctor for alcohol. This was pretty shocking to me since - to my knowledge, my dad had been sober for a couple months at this point. I expressed my anger at his doctor's advice to incorporate 2 beers a day into his prescription schedule because 1. I thought he was sober and 2. What kind of doctor gives a prescription for alcholol to an alcoholic with no self-control?! But my dad went along with it...for about a day. Within 48 hours, my dad had become a different being altogether. Yelling every other minute, constant anger, being profane and aggressive. And to my total unsurprise, drinking and dosing himself into complete loss of control. I've seen this before...but not this bad. But I had to work. So I went to bed and then woke up to him yelling at me. I ignored him and went about my day. The next night I did the same until I woke up again the next morning to find him on the floor, hunched over, naked, covered in bodily fluids, blood and beer. He had fallen 9 hours before and couldn't get up.That weekend the paramedics came over twice, he went to three hospitals, and he tried to slice his wrist in front of my sister and I. This earned him a week stay in Ben Taub hospital under 24 hour surveillance. 

I tell you all of this not to be dramatic or for pity. Hold the pity to yourself. I tell you this so that you can see that this is not my dad. I grew up with a man who worked hard, was gentle and playful, and had a relationship with God. He was a man who taught me grace. He was never perfect and was pretty rough around the edges but he understood God's grace and showed it to me. The week previous to the incident 3 weeks ago he had gone to 3 AA meetings, a Texans game, studied the Bible for several hours daily and gone to church. The devil felt his grip on my dad's life threatened, so he tightened his claws.
When the unclean spirit has gone out of a person, it passes through waterless places seeking rest, but finds none. Then it says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came.’ And when it comes, it finds the house empty, swept, and put in order. Then it goes and brings with it seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they enter and dwell there, and the last state of that person is worse than the first. So also will it be with this evil generation. Matthew 12:43-45 
It's a lethal error to believe that the devil can't make your life a living hell. In fact that is his entire business. John 10:10 says that he comes to "steal and kill and destroy." Its also dangerous to believe that as a Christian you are automatically protected. "Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm." Ephesians 6:11-13. The Lord gives us specific ways to equip ourselves for battle (The Armor of God) and specific reasons why (Spiritual forces of Evil). A.W. Tozer said, "I'm not afraid of the devil. The devil can handle me-he's got judo I've never heard of, But he can't handle the One to whom I'm joined; he can't handle the One to whom I'm united; he can't handle the One whose nature dwells in my nature." For a long time, my dad has cut himself off from Christian community and other believers. He let the devil single him out from the pack. He's also chosen to end relationships with friends and family members. He's let the devil drive a stake of unforgiveness in between him and sources of love, spiritual enrichment and support. So when all of the pain took over his life, alcohol and meds became his best friends. The devil took some temporary pain, a handful of unforgiveness, and a series of disappointments then built a prison.

My dad used to be a fighter. In 2007, my dad woke up to hear the external speakers on the tv switch on. As he entered the living room he saw a demon struggling to turn them off. The demon stood up, got in my dad's face and looked him in the eye. My dad began to plead the blood of Jesus over himself, speak scripture, proclaim the armor of God, and command the devil to flee. He says that he knew the demon was there for his life. After about an hour of speaking scripture and proclaiming Jesus' name the demon left. But over time, he's been weakened by the demons of addiction and depression and more have begun to assault him. They've convinced him to take off his armor. "Bondage Breaker" by Neil T. Anderson says this - "There is NO time when it is safe for you to take off the armor of God."
The day is coming, later, when the lion shall lie down with the lamb and we'll beat swords into plowshares. For now, it's bloody battle. - John Eldredge-
This has changed the entire way I look at my life. I won't have it easy. There are no simple wars. Anderson again says, "It is not the few raving demoniacs which are causing the church to be ineffective, but Satan's subtle deception and intrusion into the lives of 'normal' believers....Satan is a deceiver, and he will work undercover at all costs." This scares me because in the past year, I have struggled with heavier sins. He's upped his game. I have seen the effects of evil on my life. I can see demon's shadows.

But I recognize the devil can't handle the One to whom my soul is joined! I'm on alert as it says to be in 1 Peter 5:8. "Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil." I'm receiving counselling and in an amazing Bible study, and avoiding temptations but ultimately my freedom from evil is my responsibility. My position in Christ means that I have the authority to (and I must) "resist the devil, renounce participation in his schemes, confess sin, and forgive those who have offended me" (Anderson). I encourage you, that if you see the devil's influence on friends, family, or yourself - don't ignore it. Don't let demon's rush in. Proclaim your freedom in Christ.
You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. John 8:32 

Sources:
Anderson, Neil T. The Bondage Breaker. Eugene, Or.: Harvest House, 1990. Print.
Elliot, Elisabeth. On Asking God Why. Old Tappan, N.J.: F.H. Revell, 1989. Print.
Tozer, A. W. Gems from Tozer: Selections from the Writings of A.W. Tozer. U.S. ed. Harrisburg, Pa.: Christian Publications, 1979. Print.
Holy Bible: New Living Translation. Wheaton, Ill.: Tyndale House, 1996. Print.

Eldredge, John. Waking the Dead: The Glory of a Heart Fully Alive. Nashville, Tenn.: Thomas Nelson, 2003. Print.

                                                               
                                                                                                  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Text Widget

Do not be conformed to this present world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may test and approve what is the will of God-what is good, well-pleasing and perfect. Romans 12:2

Copyright © Surrendered Existence | Powered by Blogger

Design by Anders Noren | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com