Monday, December 8, 2014

God at Work - Josh the Hospital Translator

Many of us have been on some difficult mission trips but sometimes our jobs can be harder than them all. Its a different mission altogether. You are there long term. Your coworkers see your failures and are watching how you deal with stress. They see if you give dignity to the people around you and if you get puffed up when receiving praise. And in a post-Christian society it is even harder to openly share Christ in the comings and goings. The following individuals are Christians who daily bring Christ to work. Their focus is doing their job well but leading people into eternity in the process.


Josh is a Spanish Medical interpreter/translator at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. Josh is husband to Laurie and Daddy to Mia and Shiloh. He and Laurie teach a Sunday School class to single adults at Houston's First Baptist Church and are both fries connoisseurs.

What does a normal work day involve?
I am the communication bridge for non-English speaking patients with their medical team. I interpret for the doctors/nurses/social workers/chaplains/psychiatrists/etc etc when they need to communicate with a non-English speaking patient that only speaks Spanish.

Why do you feel called to work with Spanish speakers?
I'm not sure if "called" is what I would use, as the Lord could give me a different job not using Spanish and that would be just fine. But the Lord has gifted me with the ability to speak Spanish and I have always wanted to use it in some way. Interpreting is the perfect way to use Spanish in order to help others.

How do you bring Christ into your work?
First, I attempt to do my job with excellence and go above and beyond to assist the patients and medical team. Facing cancer is a very daunting thing, and if I can help them understand I feel I am honoring God in that way.
Secondly, when the door is open to share hope, pray with a patient, or even share about God's goodness in my life- I try to seize that opportunity.
Usually if that happens it is after the interpreting session. But there are some opportunities for that and I have had many patients tell me they are encouraged by my words of encouragement or prayer.
Thirdly, being available for my co workers and attempting to connect with them on a personal level.

I was told once by a patient that throughout the darkness of Cancer, each time I helped them it was light for them on their journey. That truly made my day and let me know that it makes a difference. Any chance I get to pray with a cancer patient- that is a meaningful ministering opportunity.
I am truly blessed to be in that position on a daily basis. Dealing with cancer everyday keeps my troubles in perspective and has given me a more compassionate heart towards suffering.

Are there some struggles with being a Christian at your job?
 The struggle, if any, is handling the amount of "vicarious trauma" I experience on a day to day basis.

What do you mean by vicarious trauma?
I don't have cancer, but I hear about it everyday. I see people lose their loved ones. Sometimes I see more than one death in one day. I deal with pediatric cancer patients too- kids that are the same age as Mia and Shiloh. Although I am only an interpreter, I witness trauma, sadness, and hard cases frequently. Therefore the trauma, if you will, is vicarious. At the end of the day sometimes I have to vent and process with Laurie. Mind you, some of the patients I work with, I have worked with for months or years. So after a while you can get close to them and they become friends. You can do what I do and totally detach yourself emotionally and be somewhat jaded- I still want to show compassion and as a result at times I experience "VT."

What advice/encouragement can you offer those struggling with sharing their faith at work?
I think it's encouraging to know you are not the only one struggling with something. So I would start by saying I TOO struggle with sharing my faith. I would first of all pray for opportunities to share with others. If you pray, then you are looking for God to answer that prayer by providing someone to share with. Lastly, bring up God casually frequently. E.g if someone asks how your weekend was, mention the sermon you heard at church and the nugget you learned. If people ask how you are- go beyond the "fine" and share a bit of your heart. I have had people come up to me: josh I know you go to church and stuff, I need prayer for X, could you pray for me? Attempt to invite co workers to something outside of work. Laurie and I host parties at our home or football watching and we try to invite coworkers.


Can you share your favorite work moment with us-funny, proud, dramatic or otherwise!
I can't think of anything immediately. But, just like I have to give people bad news some days, I also get to give people good news and tell them they beat cancer, or their scans are clean, or you are a survivor, etc. giving people a hug after that news is always great. So being able to share in their joy and be the first to tell them that news is an awesome blessing and privilege.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Text Widget

Do not be conformed to this present world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may test and approve what is the will of God-what is good, well-pleasing and perfect. Romans 12:2

Copyright © Surrendered Existence | Powered by Blogger

Design by Anders Noren | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com